The Story So Far
Inspiration for Dean’s artworks has arrived from the many elements of life, society, spirituality and emotional well being associated with a valued, honourable and passionate approach to today’s world. Developmental expressionism and abstraction provide a basis from which his creative spirit and resultant art pieces originate.
Dean’s fresh sense of colour, enrichment and excitement captured within his work allows for the inner you to be embraced whilst at the same time permitting individual and personal interpretations to be experienced.
The opportunity to engage within the realm of art in this way allows for the progressive expression of emotional responses to our environment.
Through colourisation in abstract form Dean and his artworks allow for the development of understanding by engaging in a dialogue of time and change in relation to where we call ‘home’.
Dean’s artworks consist of a variety of colour, shape and distortion utilising multiple media varied frameworks and interpretation whilst also working to transcend a variety of life’s emotions. The artworks created encompass the utilization of mediums such as pen/ink drawings, photography, oils and pastels along with sculpture and collage.
Dean offers his knowledge and experience in the field of art and creativity in the form of individual or group workshops within a private, school or group setting for the benefit of others in their educational growth and creative development.
Dean Mobbs Gallery has also developed a close link to many schools, businesses, charities and general sporting clubs within the Bathurst area as a sponsor and provides donations of his artworks to raise funds in order to benefit the community in multiple ways.
Qualifications and Education
- 2016 to current: PhD, Doctorate of Philosophy in Creative Writing Charles Sturt University, Bathurst
- 2012 - to Current: Artist and Owner of Dean Mobbs Gallery Keppel St Bathurst
- 2012 - 2014: Masters of Philosophy in the Discipline of Creative Writing (Completed) – University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Arts, Majoring in English and Creative Arts from the University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2002 - 2005: Bachelor of Education (Primary)(Honours) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, Australia
- 1987 – 1990: Qualified Chef – Commercial Cooking, ACT TAFE
Artistic / Written Exhibitions and Achievements
- Judge Regional Waste 2 Art Exhibition Condobolin, June 2016
- Guest Panelist Sydney Writers¹ Festival Event Bathurst Readers and Writers Festival 2016
- 2016 Bathurst Waste 2 Art Winner 2 Dimensional section
- Dean Mobbs Gallery Inaugural Creativity Scholarship Charles Sturt University 2016
- Awarded Silver Medal International Independent Publishers Book Award Best Regional Fiction Australia/ New Zealand for The Expressionist 2016
- Guest Judge Evans Art Council Art Exhibition 2015 & 2016
- Guest Speaker/ Official Opening Portland Art Show 2015
- Guest Artist All Saints Art Show, Bathurst 2015
- Bathurst 200 Winter Festival Guest Artist Exhibition 2015
- 2015: A Place In Time – Buildings of Bathurst in Colour Original Photographic Exhibition at Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre
- November 2015: First novel The Expressionist released
- Became finalist in the Cowra Regional Art Award 2015
- Fear Walks – screen play written by Dean Mobbs, performed and produced by Central West Short Play festival, 2013
- Smoke Signals – Written By Dean Mobbs, Published in Poetry Anthology, Central Coast Poetry Society, 2012
- 2011: “What is Portraiture” – the Grotto, University of Newcastle
- 2010: February 2011 – Artist in Residence, TTwo Peaks Gallery, Central Coast